Wednesday, July 16, 2014

I played a thing that was made in olden times and here's what I thought: Legend of Zelda

            This will probably become a semi-regular feature here on Jabber Blerg, like not updating for a week.  

            In general, but especially with video games, I enjoy things from a very strange era relative to my age.  Many games that I love and regularly lecture people about for hours and hours about how great they are and how back then _______ knew how to make good games, I never played at the time of release.  This was due to having been either a small baby or a sperm at the time of their release, or due to my parents being FUCKING FASCISTS and not letting us get a video game console other than a Gameboy until FIFTH GRADE, therefore crippling me socially and probably forcing me to become a serial killer at some point.  But for the past few years I’ve been fooling around with oldschool-type games, heroically overcoming the crippling disadvantage my parents hoisted upon me by not having me seven years earlier and only giving me some video games instead of all of the video games.  An upside to this is that when I give long, opinionated rants about older games, I can be sure that nostalgia doesn’t influence my opinions, because I’m not very nostalgic for my senior year of high school.  Prom sucks.  Thank God I had Angry Birds.
            Of course, the downside to this is when you play an older game that you walk away from with a lot of issues, people will get mad at you.  They’ll say you’re judging the game unfairly, that you’re spoiled by modern games that hold your hand and make you tutorials and brownies and would totally give you a blowjob if your wiener would just fit in the disc drive.  They’ll say that you had to be around at the time to really appreciate it, and that you have to look at it unconditionally by the standards of its time.
            Which brings me to a game I played, and beat, for the first time very recently:  The Legend of Zelda.  The first one.
            Does anybody think I like being in this position? It’s not fun, wanting to criticize one of the all-time sacred cows of all of video games, especially a game that innovated despite not aging very well.  It’s like eating a slice of the first loaf of bread ever made, and complaining about how bitter and gritty it is.  I don’t want to be the guy saying that, not when there’s people around who were around before, when all they ate was rocks and dirt.  “Sam, you ingrate, look at how not-rocky it is! You can eat this without breaking your teeth! Do you understand how great that is?”
            Well, you know what? That’s great for 1986, when bread was invented, but almost thirty years later, I like bread that doesn’t have sand in it.  I like bread that I can bite into without worrying about a bug crawling in my mouth to lay eggs.  I like my bread to include a map when it’s entirely based around traversing a world where everything looks exactly the same.  Come on, Legend of Bread! I know you’re better than rocks, but 90% of you is just light brown and dark brown! Why should I explore your world when everything is brown? Answer me, bread!
            Now that my metaphor, much like 1986-era bread when exposed to butter, has fallen apart and burst into flames, I should note that there are many things about Legend of Zelda that I really like.  I like how if you can find somewhere, you can enter it, and that while they let you know whether or not you’re supposed to be in a dungeon, they still let you explore around.  I like how puzzles are more focused on maneuvering and combat, which works really well with the game’s controls.  I respect the Hell out of the game for being practically open-world at a time where Super Mario Bros was considered a wide-open, adventure-type game.  For its time, the game must have been unbelievable to watch.
            But now we go back to the bread problem.  For its time, simply being able to explore in a world was enough to be fantastic and revolutionary.  But now, standards are higher.  Generally, an open world game should be interesting, easy to traverse, and have some kind of overarching goal to keep you incentivized on progression instead of simple wandering.  And Legend of Zelda fails on every single one of those counts.
            There are three types of “landscapes” in Legend of Zelda: light brown plain with some shrubs and rocks, grey graveyards, and dungeons.  The graveyard is maybe four or five screens of the game, the dungeons are completely self-contained and required to go through to beat the game, and literally the entire rest of the game is brown plains.  So already we have a big problem, because visually there’s not a whole lot of variety for me to want to discover.  I know that the next area is still going to be a brown plain; why should I get excited about it? Oh wow! The shrubs are different! You made them brown too! You removed color! Good job!
            If the combat and searching for items and whatnot was super fun, that wouldn’t necessarily be a deal-breaker, but the unforgiving, tight, maneuver-based combat that works so well in the dungeons makes traversing the overworld completely miserable.  Without full health, your laser-sword goes away, and you have no effective ranged weapons.  Your boomerang can only stun people, and your bow uses money as arrows.  And because game design in regards to items is so baffling and obscure, to the point where some game-critical items require burning a random shrub in a screen full of shrubs that absolutely nobody tells you about, you want to keep every rupee you’ve got.  You need to buy some items, and because traveling around is such a fucking pain you practically need to have a potion on you to survive long enough to find out which random part of the wall you need to bomb.  Also, did I mention that you have to do all of this without a map? You have a grey square with a little dot that shows you approximately which hemisphere you’re in, so that’s sort of nice, but that’s like trying to navigate San Francisco when all you have is a map of California.  If anything, the grey square is an insult, as if to say “yeah, we could have given you a map.  We clearly have the technology.  But we didn’t.  Have fun!”  No, Legend of Zelda, I won’t have fun! I keep getting lost and murdered by one of the maybe seven types of things that inhabit your world, and everything looks the same, and if you don’t teach me that I have to burn random shrubs with a lantern until I find a thing, I won’t just start burning random shrubs.
            But even a bland, boring world and frustrating gameplay can be overcome if your story is good enough.  If you can’t motivate the player through fun, motivating them through an interesting plot and sympathetic characters can be a valid alternative.  In Legend of Zelda, you have the following characters:
  • ·      Link
  • ·      Zelda
  • ·      Old Man in Robe
  • ·      Old Woman in Robe
  • ·      Merchant Guy
  • ·      Hungry Gremlin that appears in one screen of one dungeon and is the sole reason the food item, which can prevent you from getting very necessary potions, is in the game

      I don’t really have any reason to care about any of these characters.  I hate the Hungry Gremlin because I have to haul around meat for eighty fucking years because he’s too dumb to just leave the room he’s in and get some food.  I hate Link, because his dumb ethics prevent him from just murdering the Hungry Gremlin and moving on.  I’m ambivalent towards Zelda, because she only shows up for two seconds at the very end.  She didn’t attack me or demand meat, so I guess she’s okay, but she didn’t heal me or give me a new weapon or anything.  The most likeable characters are the two old people, who can resupply you with potions and give you swords and items and stuff, but that’s just if you can find them and decipher their riddles and lies (blow up the nose? WHAT NOSE? NOTHING LOOKS LIKE A FACE IT’S JUST ROCKS) Same goes for the merchant guy, who in addition to being hidden is also expensive. But all these guys have a leg-up on the story of the game, which is crazy nonexistent.  You have no story motivation of any kind whilst playing the game, nothing to fill the void left by the frustrating gameplay and opaque husks wandering the world.  I like how you can see how much of the Triforce is left to pick up, but doing so doesn’t do anything for you.  Triforce shards don’t change the world in any significant way; you don’t feel like your actions are beating back the endless legions of monsters.  Even if the game told you what they were for—saving Zelda and ridding the world of evil—that doesn’t gel with what the game shows us.  I don’t care about any of the characters, the world is too boring to be worth saving, and it seems pretty clear humanity is doomed.  There are six people left in the world and the soil is clearly fallow.  I used the only food in the world to feed the douchiest one of us.  A happy ending is not in the cards for Hyrule.

      Before the crowd of Zelda fans lynches me in the comments that won’t exist because nobody reads this, I’m super glad Legend of Zelda exists.  For its time, it was revolutionary.  It changed the games industry for the better and inspired an entire generation of game designers.  Sandbox games, whether Grand Theft Auto or Minecraft, would not exist without this game.  But being the first of its kind, it’s also one of the roughest.  Legend of Zelda is important, and it’s rightly hailed as setting the standard for modern games of its ilk.  But you can’t butter it, you can’t eat it, and you can’t even make sandwiches out of it.  And these days, that just doesn’t do it for me.

1 comment: