Sunday, July 6, 2014

Rise of an Empire more like Rise of my Temper AMIRITE

Descriptions of gross sex-things from 300: Bambi 2 below, so be advised            
            So a few days ago I was unfortunate enough to rewatch 300:Return of Jafar, the sequel to 300. 
            Despite feeling much less ashamed, as the last time I watched the film, I had actually paid money to have it inflicted upon me, I still did not enjoy the film.  It had all the misogyny, racism, completely backwards grasp of history (especially in regards to Persian mass slavery, which, shockingly, it appears Herodotus somewhat exaggerated) and writing problems of the first film, without the vaguely interesting action set-pieces and Gerard Butler performance that, at least to me, makes it somewhat bearable.  Overall, the movie’s biggest problem seems to be that it has little to no understanding as to the implications of what it shows us.  The movie shows us Artemisia’s past, the years she spent as a sex-slave, and then expects us to be titillated during her super-rough sex-fight with Themistocles.  “Why are you guys so uncomfortable,” 300: The Lion King 1.5 says incredulously, furiously masturbating as everyone stares determinedly at their shoes.  “Look! There are boobies and hair-pulling and stuff! She’s super into it!”
            That is probably the most egregious, harmful example of the film’s cluelessness, but it wasn’t what stuck in my mind the most.  No, the film’s most prolific, recurring example of stupidity-leading-to-unintended-conclusions were the many, many, many things that had me wondering what the Hell kind of crazy alternate Earth world 300: 302 Dalmatians is set in.  Xerxes (who, by the way, became the man he is by stepping into a pool of hermit butter and growing three feet) has a warg chained up to his throne.  I’m fucking serious.  It’s a warg.  There isn’t any other animal we could be reasonably expected to interpret it as.  Why are there wargs? Why don’t any of the orcs (because, yes, there are orc-guys that throw fireballs in this movie) have wargs? That seems like a serious inconsistency, 300: Simba’s Pride.
            Of course, that was nothing compared to the fact that the fireball-throwing orcs are standing on an ironclad ship running on combustible fuel.  There are no oars of any kind, and apparently no wood either.  It’s literally a ship made entirely of iron, and it can propel itself.  Not only are there wargs and orcs in 300: Stitch Has a Glitch, but Mordor/Persia is thousands of years ahead technologically.  I don’t know about you guys, but if I was making a movie, and I was working with a world where there was an army of orcs with Civil War-era technology, I would probably make them the focus, instead of putting them in the background of fake abs and Cersei Lannister trying to stay awake.  Why does this have to be about Frank Miller smelling his own farts and calling it “history,” 300: Mulan 2? Why can’t you show me what else the orcs have? Do they have guns? We saw guns in the first movie, as well as a sub-race of orcs with blades for hands, so that’s another can of worms right there.  Do they have tesla coils they strap on their backs to shoot lightning? What about air power? They have wargs, does that mean there are fell-beasts too? Are there eagles?
            I guess what I’m trying to say is that 300: Cinderella III: A Twist in Time would be better if instead of being what it was about, it was a completely different movie that was a documentary about orcs living in the desert.  It might seem unreasonable to ask the series to completely change genres, themes, characters, focus, and if I had my way writers, directors, and comic book industry figures (Neil Gaiman orc desert movie!!!) between films, but really, it’s already unreasonable now.  Now, the movie is asking me to watch it and be content, and I just can’t do that.  Also:
300: Cinderella II: Dreams Come True
300: Aladdin and the King of Thieves
300: Hunchback of Notre Dame 2
300: The Enchanted Christmas
300: Belle’s Magical World
300: Tarzan II: The Legend Begins
300: Tarzan and Jane

300: Return to the Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment